MPLAB C30 Optimizations

Create new topics, add your comment, remark, bugs...
cjaskolski

MPLAB C30 Optimizations

Post by cjaskolski » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:57 pm

I am using an evaluation version of the C30 compiler that has expired and thus doesn't support some optimizations. Do you know if the the blockset uses these optimizations? I would like to avoid buying the C30 compiler ($800), but if the optimizations are actually used by the blockset and will make my code run faster, I will do so and I am using a fair bit of the processor load.

LubinKerhuel
Site Admin - Expert

Re: MPLAB C30 Optimizations

Post by LubinKerhuel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 am

In Simulation==>Configuration Parameters ==> dsPIC options (last item on the left) and Optimisation parameter: OPTIM_GCC :
There are the following optimisations parameters: -O3 -fschedule-insns -fschedule-insns2

Thus, if your C30 version is expired, compilation optimisations are not working anymore.

Three solutions:
- Check that you really need theses optimisation: you can use options in the master block to check real-time constraints, or more precisely, use the Calculus Time step and/or the Chronograph block for making precise real-time measurement (I am sorry, theses block are very badly documented. Ask is you are to use them)
- Uninstall, then clean-up registry (remove all you can find about C30) and re-install again (however, that may be illegal, depending on the agreement you accepted while installe installing C30, please check first).
- Microchip C30 is based on GCC compiler. Thus, Microchip has to publish its source code due to the GCC open source licence. You just need to find this source code on the microchip website, and compile it. (I think!)

Lubin

cjaskolski

Post by cjaskolski » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:02 am

Lubin,

This is the information I was looking for. Thanks for the reply and thanks for making such a great product. I have 3 times tried installing the evaluation blockset from Microchip on Matlab 2007a, 2007b, and 2009b and get different errors each time either during installation or trying to run a simple mode. In all cases, Microchip was unable to help. In contrast, I was up and running a fairly complex model with your block set in 2 hours.

I am planning on buying a license in the next few weeks and am glad my money goes to you instead of Microchip!

LubinKerhuel
Site Admin - Expert

Post by LubinKerhuel » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Corey,

I am glad that you enjoy the blockset I created.
As you probably noticed, Microchip blockset started its blockset (inspired partly based on my work), and is now a great challenger. This kind of testimonial is exactly what I am looking for.
Please feel free to copy it or write similar remark (even positive or negative) on the user feedback webpage ! Note that you will be able to modify it whenever you want. (You’ll need to create an account on the wiki)

Lubin