Errata for dsPIC33FJXXXMCX06/X08/X10

malife
Expert

Errata for dsPIC33FJXXXMCX06/X08/X10

Post by malife » Sun May 25, 2008 8:18 pm

Hello Lubin,
First of all As you have probably guessed by now I am currently working with the 33FJ256MC710 and they recently (April 18) came out with an errata plagued with problems in the ADC, UART, SPI, PWM, OC and DMA. Too late for me to change the chip :evil: .

Now,almost all of those peripherals (except for DMA) are supported by your blockset and I really understand that you can not write code for the blocksets in a way that meets all of the errata out there. Many of the workarounds require you to not meet certain conditions in the registers, so I was wondering if it could be possible for you to add a space in the blocks configuration window where we could see what are the actual values being set for the involved registers and leave to us (the users) the responsibility to configure the device in such a way that does not fall into the errata.

For instance, for the SPI, at the bottom in gray I would see someting like

SPI1CON1 = 0xABCD
SPI1CON2 = 0xAAAA
SPI1STAT = 0xABCD
etc...

Also there is one thing that I want to ask if you could do in your end for this errata.
4. Module: DMA Module: Interaction with
EXCH Instruction

The EXCH instruction does not execute correctly
when either of the two operands is numerically
equal to the address of any of the DMAC SFRs for
this revision of silicon.
Work around
If writing source code in assembly, the
recommended fix is to replace:

Code: Select all

EXCH Wsource, Wdestination 
with: 
PUSH Wdestination 
MOV Wsource, Wdestination 
POP Wsource 
If using the MPLAB C30 C compiler, specify the
compiler option,

Code: Select all

-merrata=exch 
(Project>BuildOptions>Projects>MPLAB
C30>Use Alternate Settings)
In other words, could you add that flag to the compiler options?

In conclusions, two requests: Could you let us see the values of the involved registers and add the above mentioned flag to the compiler options?

Thanks!

Mariano

LubinKerhuel
Site Admin - Expert

Re: Errata for dsPIC33FJXXXMCX06/X08/X10

Post by LubinKerhuel » Sun May 25, 2008 10:11 pm

Hi Mariano,

About the first proposition:
malife wrote:see what are the actual values being set for the involved registers
This is difficult since for most peripheral, Theses register's values are not computed at the matlab workspace level but directly in the C code generated.
Btw, isn’t it possible to avoid the "buggy special condition" by using configuration parameters itself?

For the second point, You just have to add "-merrata=exch" at the end of : menu Simlation ==> Configuration Parameters ==> Real Time Workshop -> dsPIC Options -> Optimisation Parameters : OPTIM_GCCLine ==> -mcpu=33fJ256MC710 -O3 -fschedule-insns -fschedule-insns2 -merrata=exch

The, You should remove the directory generated by Real Time Workshop so as to have all the matlab library compiled with this new parameter.

Let me know if you can't find a workaround for the first problem mentioned...

malife
Expert

Post by malife » Mon May 26, 2008 12:20 am

Hello Lubin,
Thanks for your quick response. I will include that in my compiler. As for the conditions, I guess I can look at the generated source via simulink's HTML report. Just one question then: All the initialization of the periphereals (unless I explcitly say it changes, like the SPI option) happens in the same function?

Thanks!

Mariano

LubinKerhuel
Site Admin - Expert

Post by LubinKerhuel » Mon May 26, 2008 12:52 am

Hello Mariano,

All basic initialization task are done in the c file wih the same name as your model. Let say <ModelName>.c
At the bottom of this file is the initialization function :
void <ModelName>_initialize(boolean_T firstTime)>

I hope this will help.

Lubin